Monday, April 13, 2009

Thank you, Harry.

Harry Kalas, the Voice of the Phillies, passed away today, at the age of seventy-three. Harry had collapsed in the Phillies broadcast booth at 12:30pm, and died at 1:20pm. He had been with the Phillies since 1971.

I've spent my entire life listening to Harry call Phillies games. As a youngster, I listened to him on WCAU 1210 from my radio. Later, I was fortunate enough to be able to watch him broadcast games on cable, MLB.TV, and MLB Extra Innings. He was the voice of my childhood. He was the constant in my life as a Phillies fan.

I'm shocked that he is gone. I'm saddened that I will never hear him call a Phillies game again. I'm disappointed that he didn't get to visit the White House with the WFC. I'm frustrated that we will never be able to celebrate Harry's memorable career with him, in a massive retirement ceremony at CBP.

But I feel privileged to have been able to hear him on thousands of Phillies broadcasts. I feel honored to have heard him voice so many great moments in Phillies history. Mike Schmidt's 500th home run. The great teams of the 70s. 1983. 1993. I'm glad that he got to enjoy the 1980 and 2008 World Championship seasons. I'm pleased that he was able to take part in the WFC Parade, and the WFC Ring Ceremony. And I'm happy that he is reunited with Whitey now.

Thanks for everything, Harry. YOU are the man.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

So sad. RIP Harry. You got. Harry YOU are the man!