Monday, March 3, 2008

Cole's Inner Conflict

(The following is an entry from Cole Hamels' personal journal, written on March 3, 2008.)

It was so much simpler when I could just go out to the mound every fifth day and shut the opposition down. When the games were all that mattered. I just hate that so many of the fans hate me right now. That they don't understand. That they think my actions are out of greed, out of self-interest.

For as long as I can remember, I've been taught to put my team first. I've always believed that it's not the personal achievements that matter, it's the collective ones. I want to be remembered by the fans as a team player, a champion. That's what makes this so hard.

It isn't the first time I've faced this sort of conflict. It seems like, as I become more successful at the MLB-level, this sort of issue pops up more and more. Last season, the organization wanted me to return from injury prematurely. There was the glaring need for a team chiropractor. In the playoffs, there was talk of a Game 4 start, on short rest. I did what was asked of me in each situation, but it never felt right.

This feels even worse. But I understand. More importantly, my teammates understand. (Though, for obvious reasons, the public can never know the whole story.) Sometimes you have to put others first. I guess that's part of what it means to be in a union.

1 comment:

Justin said...

Hello!

My name's Justin (User: JuTMSY4) and I'm a writer at ArmChairGM, a sports blog, forum and wiki for all types of sports fans. I'm also a blogger and fan Philly fan (Asante Samuel...and hopefully Larry Fitzgerald is next).

I was looking at some blogs and I saw your's and enjoyed it. We need more writers and sports folks at AGM.

ArmChairGM already has hundreds of writers and commenters, thousands of readers and regularly has articles picked up by ESPN and SportsIllustrated (Hot Mustard seems to love us). Plus, you can plug your blog and double post all articles both on your blog and AGM to get some regular readers.

If you want to add an article right away, here's what you've got to do:

Just copy and past the link in your browser to sign up! http://www.armchairgm.com/Special:UserRegister&from=1&referral=JuTMSY4

Then click on the "Write" tab and begin. I suggest you type your full article in a word processor and simply paste it, but whatever works for you. Remember, this is a wiki, so you can easily add pictures and hotlinks. Just to get into the groove, I'd try double posting a previous blog article into ArmchairGM and see what happens. I guarantee you more readers and commenters than ever!

Try this link for a little basic How-To:

http://www.armchairgm.com/Help

So please come and Join AGM as soon as possible,

Regards,

Justin (JuTMSY4)